Fun Facts about blueberries? Boring. Blueberry facts? Better…. But how about the most obscure, weird and awesome blueberry facts that you’ve ever heard, scrounged from fruit experts and all the questionable corners of the web? Now that sounds more like it!
1) When Louis and Clark (Clark and Louis?) ventured into the Northwest, they found that Native Americans would smoke their blueberries to preserve them for winter. Delicious.
2) There are over 50 varieties of blueberries, including Spartan, Herbert, and Patriot. There’s also probably someone out there who can identify them all by sight. We like to think so at least.
3) Blåbær is Norwegian for blueberry. Now you know.
4) The Blueberry belongs to the genus Vaccinium along with huckleberries and cranberries. This is not to be confused with the WORD vaccinum, meaning “of or pertaining to cows”.
5) There is a Blueberry Council in the U.S. Their website is lovely.
6) Okay so not “Blue” berries but still – A legend exists where the blackberry was once beautiful, but was cursed by Lucifer when he fell into the bush when forced out of heaven. Every September 30th, with the ripening and darkening of the berries, he is thought to re-enter them. Thankfully this is about blueberries, not cursed ones.
7) Blueberries and cranberries are the only commercially produced fruit crops native to North America.
8) The Heaviest Blueberry ever weighed 11.28g (0.4 oz). In more practical terms, that would be more than the weight of 5 Bee Hummingbirds
9) Unless this image is lying to us, you can have a Bonzai Blueberry Tree. Er. Shrub.
10) Cornell University has a 50 page guide for Organic Blueberries. There has to be something interesting in there.
11) Early Colonists made gray paint out of blueberries by boiling them in milk. It was probably easier than rubbing full blueberries on everything to make it all blue like The Smurfs do.
12) Here’s a video of a Black Bear eating Blue Berries. Tasty Alliteration at its finest.
Why is this important? Come back tomorrow and you just might find out! Hint: If you dream in blue, it just might come to fruition.
Know a tasty secret about Blueberries that we missed? Share it with us!
Edit: Yup! Blue Berries from EDIBLE ARRANGEMENTS® are here just in time for summer– bringing the perfect mix of Blue into your Red, Green, Purple, and Yellow medley.