Last Updated on
Our very own Edible® Product Development Chef and fall flavor aficionado Olivia shares one of her favorite seasonal recipes – Apple Cider Fritters!
September marks the beginning of fall, and along with cozy sweaters and boots comes weekends at the farmer’s market and sunny days in the orchard picking apples!
Throughout the season, our house is constantly filled with the aromas of classic fall staples like a pie baking in the oven and homemade applesauce. One of my favorite ways to take advantage of all the apples we have this time of year is by making Apple Cider Fritters with this simple recipe. (SO delicious!) For a light and crispy batter with a hint of apple flavor, I use a classic tempura batter with twist – sparkling apple cider in place of club soda. I then serve the fritters with real maple syrup for dipping, which takes them over the top! If you’re tired of scouring cookbooks for easy fall recipes, do yourself a favor and try this out – you won’t be disappointed!
In order to make this Apple Cider Fritters recipe, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 3 medium apples
- Peanut oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons & 1 cup sweet rice flour (use all-purpose flour if you prefer)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sparkling apple cider
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ¼ cup real maple syrup for dipping (optional)
Once you have all your ingredients, follow these easy steps to create a sweet fall apple treat:
- Use an apple corer to core the apples, then slice into ¼-inch thick slices. Dust the slices with 2 tablespoons of flour.
- In a small frying pan, heat about 1 inch of oil to 325°F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized bowl, combine the remaining flour, egg, and sparkling cider. Whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Working in batches, dip the apple slices into the batter, then gently lower them into the hot oil. Fry for 2 minutes, then use tongs to flip the apples and fry an additional 2 minutes, until golden.
- Remove to drain on a plate lined with paper towels, then dust with the cinnamon and powdered sugar.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, if desired.
Here’s to staying cozy and indulging in the flavors of fall with your family. Enjoy!